Monday, January 18, 2016

Hobble Creek #5

Over this past summer I was employed at my favorite golf course in Utah, Hobble Creek. Tucked away in a canyon just outside of Springville, it is by many considered the most picturesque and well designed course in the state. 
Hobble Creek is always packed, especially in the morning, so to play early you have to be there before dawn. To me, the 4:27 wake up time was always worth the experience.

This is a picture of hole #5 taken at approximately 5:45 in the morning. 

I wanted to capture the feeling of the morning, of all of the mornings where I was able to go out with just me, my clubs and a hot cup of coffee steaming in the chill morning air. The untouched dew on the fairway and green echoed the newness of the day, with so many possibilities. Regardless of the quality of golf played it was impossible to be in a bad mood when surrounded by so much serenity. 

The design of the course it's self is stunning. At first #5 can seem straightforward and boring. But after a summer of getting to know it the character of it came alive through the curvature of the fairway as it slowly winds from left to right and tucks it's green securely behind a sand trap. The trees lining the fairway give a sense of security and depth as the surrounding mountains focus the eye on the comparatively dwarfed course.

This particular moment caused a catch in my chest, just left of center. The rose sunrise that slowly faded through strawberry blond rays to the pale blue of the morning sky and the incredible blessing of being there, in that moment left my heart full to overflowing. It had all been designed for beauty, for enjoyment, seemingly for this very moment. For me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment